Piercing preparation to make your experience more comfortable…
- Get plenty of rest the night before. Eat a good meal and drink plenty of fluids within 6 hours before getting pierced or tattooed.
- Do not consume alcohol, large amounts of caffeinated beverages or blood-thinning medications within 12 hours prior to or 24 hours after getting pierced or tattooed.
- If you must take blood-thinning medication discuss this with your piercer and your doctor prior to your appointment.
- Wear clean clothes. If you are getting a navel, nipple, surface piercing or tattoos in the torso area, do NOT wear restrictive clothing.
- If you are getting a facial piercing, do not wear makeup around the piercing site.
- If you are getting an ear piercing, wear your hair away from your ear.
- If you are thinking about getting more than one piercing or a large tattoo in a single session, consider factors such as your body’s ability to heal multiple piercings and comfort during the healing period.
- For an ear piercing: the only cleanser you need is Antibacterial Cleansing Saline Solution. Use this twice a day, every day.
- Hair should be kept away from the piercing, as it carries a lot of dirt and oil. Any contact with shampoo, hair dye and other hair products should be avoided.
- Be careful with washing and brushing your hair whilst initially healing.
- Be mindful with towel drying your hair.
- Try to avoid hair products/makeup coming into contact with your new piercing, whilst healing.
- Be aware of your new piercing and try to avoid catching it on clothing such as hats and scarves, sweaters and jumpers, t-shirts etc.
- Avoid sleeping on your piercing as this can affect the healing. Excessive pressure or constantly sleeping on that side can alter the angle of the piercing when healed.
- For a facial piercing: the only cleanser you need is Antibacterial Cleansing Saline Solution. Use this twice a day, every day. For optimum healing, we also recommend skin paint to be used twice a week.
- Be cautious with make-up application around the piercing area. Don’t use any make-up on the actual piercing. Don’t be tempted to try and cover it up – this will compromise the healing process.
- Also becareful in general when washing your face for the first few weeks. This covers eyebrow, nose, septum, lip and dermals.
Oral Piercing (Lip & Tongue)
- For an oral piercing: Glycerine of Thymol, is to be used every time you eat, drink, smoke, sleep or after any form of oral contact. Brush teeth gently two or three times a day with toothpaste. Ice will reduce the swelling. Kissing or any other oral contact should be avoided for at least 6 weeks.
Nipple & Navel Piercing
- For a nipple or navel piercing: we recommend the full After Care Pack, containing Antibacterial Cleansing Solution, skin paint, zinc capsules and sterile dressings.
- When you leave the studio, you will have a dressing protecting the piercing – leave this for 24 hours to give the piercing time to settle. Apply fresh dressings provided only during the night, for the next four nights and leave them off during the day so your piercing can breathe. Clean the piercing twice per day with Antibacterial Cleansing Solution. Apply skin paint twice a week. Zinc capsules to be taken daily.
- For a surface piercings: the only cleanser you need is Antibacterial Cleansing Saline Solution. Use this twice a day, every day. For optimum healing, we also recommend skin paint to be used twice a week.
- Take the utmost care not to knock your piercing – surface piercings can take more of an aftercare commitment, as they are more vulnerable to being dislodged if knocked. Be especially cautious during any sexual contact, catching or tugging on clothing etc. depending where the piercing is located.
- For dermal anchor implants: clean with the Antibacterial Cleansing Saline Solution twice a day, every day. I recommend keeping them covered for the first few days, especially at night.
- Take the utmost care not to knock your piercing – micro dermals can take more of an aftercare commitment, as they are more vulnerable to being dislodged if caught or knocked. Be especially cautious during any sexual contact, catching or tugging on clothing etc. depending where the piercing is located.
- For facial dermals, becareful when washing your face for the first few weeks.
General Advice for all Piercings
- Do not touch your piercing with dirty hands!
- Do not “play” with your piercing.
- After a few days the piercing will start to secrete fluid, this is called lymph (don’t worry – this is normal and not to be confused with an infection). When cleaning, hold the jewellery to stop it moving. Clean the jewellery and then move it gently through the skin, using either cotton wool or cotton buds dipped in the cleaning solution. Clean off all the dried lymph, making sure you don’t reuse the same cotton bud.
- Women may experience an increased secretion of lymph and soreness of piercing towards the onset of menstruation. Extra care should be taken of the piercing during this time.
- Infections can develop easily on a new piercing since it is an open skin wound. Be sure to keep dirty fingers and tight or dirty clothing away from a new piercing. Avoid excessive tugging and pulling. Refrain from oral and sexual contact until the area is well healed. Remember it is your body and an infection does hurt.
- CAUTION: Ointments do not clean or disinfect the piercing – they are only lubricants and not a substitute for proper cleaning solution. DO NOT use soap. To ensure your piercing heals as quickly as possible, do not use antiseptic ointment e.g.: Savlon, Germoline, TCP, Dettol or surgical spirit. All of these products will slow down the healing process.
- For any piercing except oral: Swimming in chlorinated pools or the sea should be avoided until the piercing is well healed.
- If excessive redness, swelling, bleeding, changes of colour in tissue or soreness persists, DO NOT remove jewellery, contact Shiva Body Piercing Studio. If you are unable to contact us, visit your local GP. Do not take aspirin as pain relief. An aspirin substitute such as Ibuprofen is advised and is available from chemists.
Aftercare products for Piercing available at Shiva Piercing Studio
- Antibacterial Cleansing Saline Solution. This should be used twice a day, morning and night (for all piercings except oral piercings).
- Zinc Capsules – Zinc promotes faster healing. Take one capsule a day with meals.
- Mepore Sterile Dressing (for nipple and navel piercings). Use these self-adhesive dressings to cover the piercing at night, for the first four nights. Do not use these during the day – your piercing needs to breathe.
- Skin paint – This is used once a week for the initial healing period or if the piercing appears slightly red or if it has been knocked or pulled. Paint the fluid around the piercing and let it dry. Leave it on for 8 to 24 hours (when you sleep). Always wash the brush (under hot running water) before placing back in the bottle.